Well I passed my test…although it was only for the ikkyuu (the rank right below shodan). I was immediately the most popular person there, being not only the only foreigner at the time (but, as I found out later, the only foreigner ever to take a Kendo test in Tokunoshima), but also being the oldest by at least 10 years. There were about 60 kids testing for different belts, the younger ones were, to say the least, very cute. I wish I had gotten to take some video, but instead I sat in seiza (on my knees) for 30 minutes while everyone else tested. When it was finally my turn (after I stood up to get feeling back into my feet), I was paired up with two junior high school girls (everyone was in groups of threes). I’m pretty sure this was a mistake because they added in a guy at the last second and told me I was going to do my test with him. Unfortunately the memo didn’t get relayed to everyone so I ended up going against the 12 year old girl, who was most assuredly frightened (Big foreigner screaming in her face…can be a bit intimidating), but also nervous because she thought I was very cute (we sat next to eachother and she couldn’t stop looking at my and giggling…plus 2 for Josh’s self confidence, can get 12 year old Japanese girls to giggle). I was actually the more nervous one because I knew she was going to kick my butt (she did) and literally the room was quiet as can be because every person in there had their eyes fixed on me wondering what I would do. Somehow or another, I passed and so will take my shodan test in December.
Also, today was the annual sports day at the local high school. Below are some pics and a video of them doing the tug of war.
My supervisor and his supervisor
again, smiling this time.
Me!
My friend Mea in the pink, laying down the english law.
Sports day prep.
Japanese National Anthem
Tug of war...
That's all for today....
No comments:
Post a Comment